ULTIMATE DIET TIPS
Fitness is one of the Red Hat Society's Passions. A healthy Hatter is a happy Hatter! Not a Member yet?
The ULTIMATE diet tips from famous folks - past and present - for staying fit and fabulous!
1. "Just as you balance your spending and savings, you must balance your food choices. Don't eat too much of any one thing. Balance starches with proteins, vegetables and fruits with sweets, and always balance a splurge with a save." Bethany Frankel, The Skinnygirl
2. "Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored ... If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry." Michael Pollan, Food Rules
3. "There'll always be some weird thing about eating four grapes before you go to bed, or drinking a special tea, or buying this little bean from El Salvador. If you watch your portions and have a good attitude and you work out every day, you'll live longer, feel better and look terrific." Richard Simmons
4. "The truth has dawned that fresh vegetables are not only good for you, they are wonderfully good to eat - when lovingly prepared." Julia Child
5. "Food is not your remedy for problems. Food is not going to change your life ... If you're going to lose weight, you have to do it by changing your way of thinking about food." Jean Nidetch, founder of Weight Watchers
6. "Tap into how food makes you feel. If skipping a slice of cake is going to leave you bummed, enjoy a small serving and savor it. But if that cake makes you feel "bleh", skip it. You know yourself better than anyone, so take the time to tune in to what works for you." Joy Bauer, RDN, nutrition expert for NBC's Today show, author From Junk Food to Joy Food
7. "Don't go treat-free. This is a bad way to live. If you go to one extreme, the pendulum is just going to swing all the way back. to the other ... I like to say the 80-20 rule. Eighty percent of the time, eat the cleaner, healthier foods; 20 percent of the time, have the burger, fries, the glass of wine." Jillian Michaels
8. "The shorter the ingredient list, the better." David Katz, MD, director of Yale University Prevention Research Center
9. "Don't diet. When you diet, you are basically setting yourself up for failure.I mean, the word die is in there! You're not allowing yurself to enjoy the food you love and it will only make you want it that much more. Make smart lifestyle changes, one baby step at a time." Khloe Kardashian
10. "The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor." Chinese proverb
Of course, I’m not suggesting you need to go to Mr. Beavan’s extremes; HOWEVER, there are four simple things you can do to make less impact on the environment.
(Hatters love to collect stuff but it’s also fun to up-cycle your extras. Learn “How to Host a Shop ‘N Swap” in the latest Red Hatter Matters online magazine, a Member benefit. Use this link to view: https://www.redhatsociety.com/sites/all/themes/red_hat_society/pdf/RHM_2016Q3_lr.pdf)
Second, compost your food ‘trash’. Ben and I have a compost tumbler on our patio. Once a year, I buy a small container of red wigglers to help with the break down. We love our worms! We thank them every day for giving us beautiful nutrient dense top-soil for our garden.
Third, Say No To Plastic Bags! If you buy something that might leak and you absolutely must use one, get only ONE!
Here’s what I do to keep a level head and a healthy attitude amidst all this change. I walk. I walk 10,000 steps every single day, rain or shine. By walking consistently and mindfully, you can achieve the mental, emotional and physical well-being for coping with life’s stresses.
I prefer to walk outside and commune with Nature. BUT, what if you can’t walk outside? No problem. Did you know there are walking DVDs? DVDs by Leslie Sansone are my Plan B when I can’t get outside. Leslie Sansone is my go-to gal when the weather is not cooperating.
Walking is a stress buster. Walking improves your immune system. Walking can lower your high blood pressure. Walking releases endorphins – those natural feel good hormones. Walking is anti-aging. Walking improves your circulation so that your skin glows. Walking is FREE!