Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Jet Setting Jitters

Each year the Hatquarters of the Red Hat Society throws a huge weekend party for a couple of thousand of our Members; set each time in a different vacation- worthy location.  We plan, pack and get ready to go.  Ah, but now, we have to get there.

I must admit that I come from a long matriarchal line of “don’t like to flyers.”   It started with my Grand Mother who was known around town as the Bus Babe.  At a mere 87, she could be seen hopping on the bus, solo, to travel across Texas, happy as can be, with her knitting balanced delicately on her lap. My Mother, a thoroughly modern woman, tried her best to keep her feet on the ground, but alas, a time came that she had to fly so she came up with a solution.  It was called the Martini!   I learned at her knee that just one of these concoctions paved the way for a non-fearful flight.   My pre-flight tonic of choice was the Bloody Mary – I loved that anti-fear garden in a glass!

I thought my fears had been conquered and that all was well until it was time to fly back to Los Angeles from the RHS Dallas Funvention one Sunday.   To my surprise, guess who has blue laws?  Dallas!  No booze sold on Sunday!!!   I thought I’d faint.  Well, I flew un-liquored for the first time in my life and guess what?  It wasn’t so bad.  I just pretended that I had had a drink.  Voila!  Everything was okay.  I’ve never felt the need to nip prior to flight time again.

The point of this little story is not to encourage you to tipple but to face your fears bravely.  It doesn’t matter how you get on that plane; what’s important is that you actually climb on board.


We hope to see you at one of our future RHS Funventions.  The next one is the Speedway Sparkle, Indianapolis, Indiana USA – August 13 – 16, 2015.  All roads (trains and planes) lead to INDY!     

Not a Member of the Red Hat Society?  There's Only One, Join the fun!

Ready to attend the greatest, most joyful event for women in the world?  Let this serve as your official invitation to join us in Indianapolis, Indiana for the 2015 International Convention.


No comments:

Post a Comment