Now that it's fall and beautiful mums are everywhere, we thought this easy craft would be a fun way to incorporate more red and purple at home. This also makes a lovely centerpiece for any fall gatherings you have planned! We have both purple and red metallic paint, so let your creative juices flow. You can go simple like ours or paint the pot metallic purple and paint on red metallic hats or hearts. Have fun!
Red Metallic Painted Flower Pot With Purple MumsWe found our terra cotta pot and paint brush at our local craft store and the potted plant came from a local nursery, but they are local hardware and grocery stores that also carry seasonal plants. We carry the metallic paint at The Red Hat Society Store and you can click the links below to purchase.
- 1 terra cotta pot and saucer
- clean piece of cardboard to a painter's board
- 2 ounce jar of red metallic craft paint
- craft paint brush or foam brush
- potted purple mums
- With a damp cloth or damp paper towel, wipe the terra cotta pot and saucer to remove any surface dirt or dust so that the paint adheres properly.
- Squeeze the red metallic paint out (we like to use the back of a pizza box, a paper plate or a cleaned out used yogurt container for holding our paint). Use your brush to apply the paint to both the pot and the saucer. Allow the pot to dry for several hours or overnight and then repeat for a second coat. Let dry completely.
- Remove mums from the plastic pot it came in, use your hand to loosen the root ball a little (to encourage good growth) and add to your painted pot. Place inside or outside.