Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ruby RedHat's Email Tutorial

 Ruby RedHat Here!

For those of your who don't know me, my name is Ruby RedHat, and I am the Red Hat Society's pint-sized mascot. I'm making a very rare appearance here on Red Hat Chat to lend a helping hand with creating your own email account. 

After spending some much-need girl time with some of my friends in the Red Hat Society this weekend, I was shocked to discover that many of these women did not have access to email. When I asked them why, they responded that they either had never learned how to sign up for an email account, they thought it would cost them money or just flat out be difficult to do. These ladies are missing out on their weekly Friday Broadcast newsletter, Events Emails, and some other vital information coming from the Red Hat Society each month, and I'm determined to help change that. 

So this week, I contacted my friends at Hatquarters to ask them if I could do a blog tutorial on how to start an email account from two of the most popular and free email providers: Google and Yahoo, and they were happy to let me do it. I've tried to show every single step, but if you have questions or need additional information, please just leave a comment below, and I would be happy to get back to you. 

Now let's get started! 

Gmail: 

Step 1: Open your preferred internet browser and type www.gmail.com to bring up this screen. Click on the red Sign Up button to create your account.

Step 2: Fill in the requested information, and choose your Username and Password. (F.Y.I. The request for a Mobile Phone number is just to help you retrieve your Username or Password if you ever forget it.) 


Step 3: When you the sign up, you will be taken to this page. Notice your  new email name in the right-hand corner. Click the word Gmail (circled for reference) to access your email account. 













Gmail Home Screen: Once you have created your account this is what your daily Gmail home screen will look like.


Accessing Your Gmail Account from Google

Yahoo: Open your preferred internet browser and type www.yahoo.com to bring up this screen. Click on the Mail button on the left to get started.





Step 1: Click on the yellow Create New Account 



Step 2: Fill out the requested information. Yahoo will also prompt you for your mobile number in the event that you forget your Username or Password.


















Step 3: Fill out your preferred security information 





















Yahoo Inbox Homepage: Once you have created your account this is what your daily Yahoo Mail home screen will look like. I've circle all of the places you can go to access your Inbox.



See! That wasn't difficult at all! The whole process for each provider took me about 5 minutes. Once you're signed up, you'll just log into these sites to check your email at your convenience.

If you are a Red Hat Society Member who is creating a new email account, don't forget to update your RHS Account information so you can start getting your emails from the Red Hat Society.

Not a Member? You can still receive the Friday Broadcast weekly newsletter from the Red Hat Society by clicking here to Subscribe. Of course, the only way to experience all of the fun the Red Hat Society has to offer is to join and experience it for yourself!

Again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I'm happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment