Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Celebrating A Chapter!

Hatquarters received a lovely email from Queen Marion Sheffield of the Cottage Garden Cuties in England!
“It was when I went to an Art Demonstration that I first came across the Red Hatters. The artist picked up a large paint brush and put a number of Red Blobs onto the canvas. Eventually the picture began to emerge. Apparently the artist met some ladies in California. During the interval I asked him how I could find out more about them, he said look on the Internet, which I did.
At that time I had a son living in Montgomery Alabama, so I looked under Montgomery and noticed that there were about three Chapters at that time. I wrote to one of the Queens and told her about my son, but not where he worked. When she saw the name Sheffield, she said to herself it must be the young man who owns Sheffield Antiques.  When I next communicated with this particular Queen she invited me the next time I was visiting Alabama to let her know so that she could invite me to there next get together.  This I did.
The year before I had been diagnosed with breast cancer, it was very serious. While receiving treatment, which resulting losing all of my hair (that was hard) three ladies from my church met together every week to pray for me, so when I heard about The Red Hat Society I told them about it and we decided to start our own chapter.  We now have fifteen ladies. We all have flower names. I am Lady Primrose.  Everybody loves being a Red Hatter. We have been to Buckingham Palace, The Chelsea Pensioners in London, Theatre etc. This coming May we are planning to go to Windsor Castle where there is an exhibition celebrating the Duke of Edinburgh's 90th birthday.
The friendship is wonderful, we are there for each other, and we are always laughing. It is so much fun." 

“What actually happens at events?  Are they like trade shows?”
Our official conventions are like nothing else in the world! Atypical Red Hat Society convention is a combination of a sleepover, a dance party, and a girls’ night out at the mall! Where else can you find hundreds or thousands of like-minded women dancing to fantastic live music, shopping from hundreds of vendors with unique products, and staying up until all hours of the night because the conversation is so good?  Our ladies decorate their hotel room doors and balconies, bustle through our host cities with panache and charm (dressed to the nines in red, purple, pink, and lavender!), and play to their hearts’ content during the Playshops, dance parties, and banquets!
You can see photos of our past events on the Red Hat Society website! To find out about  upcoming  events, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment